Pages

Monday, November 16, 2009

Random Book Quotes

"The more I know of the world, the more I am convinced that I shall never see a man whom I can really love. I require so much!"
-Sense and Sensibility

"I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun."
-Pride and Prejudice

"Think of a baby, how she smiles and coos and reaches for the sun. Does she care if her little legs are chubby or if her belly is round? Of course not. All she knows is the joy of love."
-The Cinderella Pact

"I pull open the door and climb in, astutely observing that he is without a wedding ring and that this could be the start of a whirlwind romance thanks to my exploded car, but I have no expectations. Expectations hurt."
-The Cinderella Pact

"Even now, whenever I see his face creasing into a real smile, I feel a bit of a lift inside. Because I know he's not like that with everyone. He's smiling like that because it's me. For me."
-Shopaholic Takes Manhattan

"But as it came and went, disappearing and reappearing like the moon on a windswept and cloudy night, i felt myself withdrawing bit by bit, to a place where he could neither reach nor disappoint me. It was safer thus."
-Helen of Troy

"How can any of us bear what the years have put upon us? We cannot. That is why the aged are so stooped."
-Helen of Troy

"Kate is not going to die sooner because you have one more glass of wine, or because you stay overnight in a hotel, or because you let yourself crack up at a bad joke."
-My Sister's Keeper

"But I don't really think it's something he does on purpose. It's the way he gets noticed, you know? I mean, imagine what it would be like if you were a squirrel living in the elephant cage at the zoo. Does anyone ever go there and say, Hey, check out that squirrel? No, because there's something so much bigger you notice first."
-My Sister's Keeper

"A runaway train is an accident. Me, I'll jump in front of the tracks. I'll even tie myself down in front of the speeding engine. There's some illogical part of me that still believes if you want Superman to show up, first there's got to be someone worth saving."
-My Sister's Keeper

"I became a firefighter because I wanted to save people. But I should have been more specific. I should have named names."
-My Sister's Keeper

"The reason it's all off-kilter? The earth's axis wobbles. Life isn't nearly as stable as we want it to be."
-My Sister's Keeper

"When you come to the end, that's where God begins."
-Have a Little Faith

"Mom, you're not listening with your eyes."
-Have a Little Faith

"It is far more comforting to think God listened and said no, than to think that nobody's out there."
-Have a Little Faith

"Sometimes the mileage you get out of a great story is worth the hassle of actually going through the experience."
-Diary of a Working Girl

"The reason it hurts so much to separate is because our souls are connected. Maybe they always have been and will be. Maybe we’ve lived a thousand lives before this one and in each of them we’ve found each other. And maybe each time, we’ve been forced apart for the same reasons. That means that this goodbye is both a goodbye for the past ten thousand years and a prelude to what will come."
-The Notebook

"We sit silently and watch the world around us. This has taken a lifetime to learn. It seems only the old are able to sit next to one another and not say anything and still feel content. The young, brash and impatient, must always break the silence. It is a waste, for silence is pure. Silence is holy. It draws people together because only those who are comfortable with each other can sit without speaking. This is the great paradox."
-The Notebook

"Dusk, I realized, is just an illusion, because the sun is either above the horizon or below it. And that means that day and night are linked in a way that few things are; there cannot be one without the other, yet they cannot exist at the same time. How would it feel, I remember wondering, to be always together, yet forever apart? I know the answer now. I know what it’s like to be day and night now; always together, forever apart."
-The Notebook

"My life? It isn’t easy to explain. It has not been the rip-roaring spectacular I fancied it would be, but neither have I burrowed around with the gophers. I suppose it has most resembled a blue-chip stock: fairly stable, more ups than downs, and gradually trending upwards over time. I’ve learned that not everyone can say this about his life.
But do not be misled. I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common man with common thoughts, and I’ve led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I’ve loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me this has always been enough."
-The Notebook

"Passion is passion. It’s the excitement between the tedious spaces, and it doesn’t matter where it’s directed…It can be coins or sports or politics or horses or music or faith…the saddest people I’ve ever met in life are the ones who don’t care deeply about anything at all."
-Dear John

"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it. You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestations of your own blessings. And once you have achieved a state of happiness, you must never become lax about maintaining it, you must make a mighty effort to keep swimming upward into that happiness forever, to stay afloat on top of it. If you don’t, you will leak away your innate contentment."
-Eat Pray Love

"Friendship—my definition—is built on two things,” he said. “Respect and trust. Both elements have to be there. And it has to be mutual. You can have respect for someone, but if you don’t have trust, the friendship will crumble."
-The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

"That what I need to survive is not Gale’s fire, kindled with rage and hatred. I have plenty of fire myself. What I need is the dandelion in the spring. The bright yellow that means rebirth instead of destruction. The promise that life can go on, no matter how bad our losses. That it can be good again. And only Peeta can give me that."
-Mockingjay

"It takes ten times as long to put yourself back together as it does to fall apart.”
-Mockingjay

"There’s this piercing sort of pain where my heart is. Maybe I’m even having a heart attack, but it doesn’t seem worth mentioning."
-Mockingjay

No comments: